San Diego Metropolitan Credit Union is proud to be introducing a new suite of cards to our members.
We are committed to providing the best products and services for your financial security. Your current Visa Platinum Rewards Credit Card will be updated to a new Visa Platinum Rewards Credit Card and mailed to you within the next week. The card comes with a new card number and the chip-enabled technology that provides an extra layer of security when used at chip-related merchant terminals. This chip uses single-use codes to validate your transactions and protect your card from unauthorized use.
New card benefits:
1. You can access this account on your computer or laptop/tablet, see your activity and make your payments – all with METRO Online Banking.
2. You have the option to enroll for real-time alerts and manage all cards through a smartphone app for Android and iOS.
3. You will continue to earn rewards during this transition from the current to the new card.
4. If you also have a debit card, the rewards that you can now earn on that card can be combined for even greater overall rewards! In addition to enhanced security, you will now be able to take advantage of our new Rewards Program with your new credit card. Information and details regarding the METRO Rewards program can be found here.
As soon as you receive your new purple Visa Platinum Rewards Credit Card, please take the following steps:
1. Call the number on the card from any telephone to activate it and select a PIN. Listen carefully to the prompts, as you will be asked to enter some identifying information to activate the card. If you enter incorrect information, don’t worry. After three invalid attempts, you will be forwarded to a live representative who will help you complete the activation process. Please note, your existing card will no longer work after October 30, 2016. You can start using your new card now.
2. Provide your new credit card number and expiration date to merchants that automatically bill your card.
3. Change the payment address for your credit card payments to: SDMCU, P. O. Box 719099, San Diego, CA 92171-9099.
If you have any questions, contact us at 619-297-4835 or toll-free at 888-907-3628. Enjoy your new colorful Visa Rewards Credit Card – part of a new suite of METRO’s card services!
CHIP CARD FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT IS EMV?
EMV stands for Europay, Mastercard and VISA. Cards equipped with this chip technology use a unique code to authenticate each card transaction.
WHY ARE WE SWITCHING NOW?
EMV is the global standard for cards. It will be more secure than the traditional magnetic-stripe cards. The authentication method used in EMV will make it harder for criminals to commit card-based fraud at the point of sale.
WHEN WILL I BE RECEIVING MY NEW DEBIT OR CREDIT CARD?
You will be receiving several communications about EMV starting in July and will be receiving your new chip enabled cards beginning in September.
CAN I STILL USE MY OLD CARD?
We will let you know in future communications when to start using your new card and when the old card will no longer work.
CAN I USE MY CARD WHEN TRAVELING?
Yes, you can continue to use your card anywhere VISA is accepted. In fact, in countries where EMV has been the standard, this should make using your card easier. Please notify METRO one business day or sooner prior to traveling so that purchases will not be flagged as possible fraud.
I LIKE THE OLD DESIGN, WHY ARE YOU CHANGING THE LOOK?
The card designs have been around for a while. It’s time for a fresh look. Besides, the old debit card design could not accommodate the placement of the new shiny critical chip and other elements.
WILL MY CREDIT CARD DUE DATE CHANGE?
No, credit card payments will continue to be due on the 17th of each month.
WHAT TYPE OF CARDS ARE WE CONVERTING TO?
We will be staying with Visa for both Credit and Debit cards.
WILL I BE GETTING A NEW CARD NUMBER (CREDIT OR DEBIT)?
Yes, a new number will be issued for both Visa Credit Cards and Debit cards. For credit cards, each cardholder will now have a unique card number.
I HAVE PAYMENTS ATTACHED TO MY DEBIT/CREDIT CARD (NETFLIX, ETC) - WILL I NEED TO GIVE THEM A NEW NUMBER?
Yes, you will be getting a brand new number and will need to make applicable updates to your payees, etc.
I CURRENTLY HAVE AUTO PAY FOR MY CREDIT CARD FROM XX FINANCIAL INSTITUTION. WHAT DO I DO?
You will still be able to make your payments via Automatic payment. More information will be coming soon.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO MY CURRENT CREDIT CARD REWARDS?
If you have a Platinum Rewards Card, your points will be transferred to our new program and you will continue to earn Rewards.
HOW DO I GET REWARDS ON MY NEW DEBIT CARD?
There will be a lot more information to come on our enhanced Rewards program, but points will be earned on signature-based purchases for your Debit Card when the new program launches.
HOW DO I GET TRANSACTION ALERTS FOR MY CARDS?
We will be launching a new card app that, with your permission, will allow us to send you real-time transaction alerts that you choose, making using your card even more secure.
IS MY ATM CARD IMPACTED?
ATM-only cards will be reissued with a new look, but will not have the EMV chip.